This is just an information sheet to contain the information about our vineyard for internal use.
We start by planting 75 petit verdot on the Era field. There are also a few plants made from cuttings which are white grapes.
Planted 250 new vines on the new field. Half of them Cabernet Sauvignan the other half Bobal.
We did make some wine but it was a mix of our own and some grapes from over the hill.
We made about 40 litres of wine.
The plants were pruned correctly for the first time in October.
We planted 125 Tempranillo and 125 Cabernet Sauvignon
An audit in June by Daniel the Dressing Gown Man states:
There are 660 growing vines.
About 50 did not make it to October.
The harvest happened on the 21st September.
4 crates from new field
3 crates from the Era field
3 crates from down below.
It took about 2 hours with 6 people to do the harvest.
Made about 100 litres of grape must.
About 12% alcohol potential on the light meter.
The pressing happened on 15th of October with the help of Jordan, Pierre, Jane and Caroline the Belgian girl. The wine was quite dry. I estimate that there were about 65 litres.
Notes: Many of the new vines planted were ripped out by foxes searching for insects.
Maybe the goatshit, leaf mold and earth mix should be aged longer before use.
100 bobal ordered. Arrival date 1st April.
We planted 1 new line and the rest were used to replace dead vines
This time we used the new petrol auger and it took most of the work out of preparing the holes. In August we put the top wires on all the lines.
The team was Sam, Heather, Alex (skateboarder), Phil Kiwi, Nitsan
The harvest happened on the 15th September.
35 crates in total.
18 crates from new field
11 crates from the Era field
It took about 3 hours with 6 people to do the top fields
6 crates from down below this took about 25 minutes
Made about 450 litres of grape must.
About 15% alcohol potential on the light meter.
The pressing happened on 15th of October with the help of Sam, Heather She-Wolf, Phil Dynes. The time before pressing was much shorter and wine was still sweet. I estimate that there were about 280 litres.
We planted 200 bobal in the top half of the Era field .
This was done by Aida and me after Christmas.
It is the first time I have planted the vines early.
All of the holes were done with the petrol auger.
Aida counted all the vines and there were 813.
The team was Jen (australian) Amber kiwi, James.
The harvest happened on the 9th October.
30 crates in total.
21 crates from new field
9 crates from the Era field
It took about 3 hours with 4 people to do the new field
4 crates from down below.
These had powdery mildew so they were dried for sultanas rather than wine.
Made about 390 litres of grape must.
About 14% alcohol potential on the light meter.
The pressing happened on 9th of November with just Sarah and I. I estimate that there were about 260 litres.
The harvest was less than the previous year because the table grapes below the house got a bad case of Powdery Mildew.
Chemicals for powdery mildew. Contact fungicides work well as preventatives and for early, mild infections, notably potassium bicarbonate compounds and horticultural and neem oils. Phytotoxicity can be a problem with some plants, however, so care should be used before broad scale application. Systemic fungicides include triflumizole (e.g., Terraguard), myclobutanil (e.g., Eagle), the strobilurin group (e.g., Compass O, Insignia, Heritage), which is very prone to inducing resistance in pathogens, and thiophanates (e.g., Cleary’s 3336, OHP 6672).
Chemicals for downy mildew. Contact protectants such as mancozeb (e.g., Protect) and copper, alternated or mixed with systemics like mefenoxam (e.g., Subdue MAXX) applied as a drench at the beginning of the season and sprays of dimethomorph (e.g., Stature DM), phosphonates (Aliette), and strobilurins (e.g., Fenstop, Compass O, Insignia, Heritage), have shown good control. Effectiveness of any given chemical depends on the particular downy mildew pathogen present; what works well for one may give minimal control for others. Tank mixes of more than one of these agents in a rotation can be useful.